The Wasted 87%


HUNG Matthew

With Hong Kong’s shrinking landfills, an acute NIMBY attitude towards new waste solutions, and the strengthening of China’s borders towards recyclables from Hong Kong, the material consequences of our consumer waste is increasingly a matter of concern.

The tower aims to address the value-action gap evident in the city, where commonly held civic ideals towards sustainability are at odds with our actual material habits. It posits that the inconveniences necessary to provide the “feedback” to register the consequences of our wasteful habits have been spatially designed out of the city; externalised to our landfills; to developing countries; into the atmosphere; all fundamentally problematic.

The proposed tower explores how waste can be designed back into everyday life and speculates on a scenario where Hong Kong towers are no longer able to legally externalise its own domestic waste. What new positive inconveniences would encourage changes in habit? What new material values would it provoke? What new metrics would accompany these values? What new regimes of sorting are necessary?

At its fundamental, the spatial exploration allocates 13% of the tower’s volume for residential units whilst the remaining 87% is allocated to accommodate the waste generated by its residents; a ratio based on the average living space per person in Hong Kong and the volume of waste the resident would generate over the 50-year period of a typical tower block in the city.

This speculative future suggests a city where the notion of waste is completely dissolved yet simultaneously a constant matter of concern, encapsulating a potentially new politics of waste.

更有中國的廢物進口禁令實施 。 


Copyright 2018 @All rights reserved.

  • White Facebook Icon
  • White Instagram Icon

Disclaimer: Create Hong Kong of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region provides funding support to the project only, and does not otherwise take part in the project. Any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in these materials/events (or by members of the project team) are those of the project organizers only and do not reflect the views of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, the Communications and Creative Industries Branch of the Commerce and Economic Development Bureau, Create Hong Kong, the CreateSmart Initiative Secretariat or the CreateSmart Initiative Vetting Committee.

責聲明:  香港特別行政區政府創意香港僅為本項目提供資助,除此之外並無參與項目。在本刊物/活動內(或由項目小組成員)表達的任何意見、研究成果、結論或建議,均不代表香港特別行政區政府、商務及經濟發展局通訊及創意產業科、創意香港、創意智優計劃秘書處或創意智優計劃審核委員會的觀點。